Giving you $.02 for your 2 cents
Problogger has suggested techniques to get more comments on a blog; the short list is:
- Invite comments
- Ask questions
- Be open ended
- Interact with comments left
- Set boundaries
- Be humble
- Be gracious
- Be controversial?
- ‘Reward’ comments
- Make it easy to comment
“90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.”
My stats thus far would sound a loud “here, here” with both problogger and Mr. Nielsen.
Of course, I believe that good content will solict and encourage good commentary. Of all of the techniques, the issue of reward intrigues me most–and thus this post.
FULL DISCLOSURE: This is an attempt to increase not only just traffic, but rich activity to this blog experience. Even though this blog is primarily for my purposes, it is a much more rich and fulfilling experience with quality dialog.
I will start rewarding comments to this blog by emailing them $.02 via Paypal that meet the following Terms and Conditions set forth:
- Adhere to Folleyball Comment Policy.
- Comment must be original and relevant. ‘Original and relevant’ is at the sole discretion of this fool. (A comment such as “Nice post” though appreciated, will not earn you $.02).
- Trackbacks count as comments. In fact, they are even better!
- Payout will be limited to one (1) payout per one (1) poster per one (1) day. Each person posting will receive no more than $.02 per day, but every person posting according to these Terms and Conditions will receive $.02 per day. (Again, I encourage as many comments by as many people per day. Please comment multiple times to multiple posts per day, but each person shall receive only one payout of $.02 per day).
- This is not a contract: it is my blog, I may suspend or stop payout at any time at my discretion (usually relating to my budget), but will make good on approved comments.
- You must include you email address (let the poster beware [of spambots]) to receive your funds. I will never rent, sell, or give your email address at any time, but I will not be responsible for any spam you receive as a result of leaving your email address herein. Be creative in how you mask your email address (see top, right of page for an example of my email address).
- You must be able to accept Paypal. I will only send money via Paypal.
- Your comments must be in English. I speak no other language…except for maybe toddler.
- This is on the honor system. You trust that I will make good on my word and pay up, and I trust that you will only use one identity (email address) per one physical person. I will post, on a regular basis from time to time, my payout and the payment(s) to top posters.
- This is a living experiment. I have the right to add, modify, or delete to these Terms and Conditions at any time. If any changes are made, I will edit THIS post and modify the timestamp so it appears at the top of the blog.
- Acceptance of Payment. Should you not accept the payment within 30 days, I reserve the right to rescind it (added 11/15/2006).
I know, I know. Is being paid $.02 worth your time to leave a comment? Maybe not. But if you are already a “lurker” this is my way to encourage more active participation; if you are already here, leave a comment! Tell your friends and neighbors, blog about what I am doing with this entry on your blog.
Let me know what you think.
Get ready, get set…GO!